Skip to main content

HSR Bus Operators

 

A favorite bus route.

When I lived in the downtown Hamilton area I rarely rode HSR transit because everything was within walking or cycling distance.  All that changed about three years ago when I moved up the mountain to ward 7.  Having to rely on public transit to get around is going to be a chore. I thought this is going to kill me, I mean traveling on a crowded bus with strange humans. Yikes!  :P

It's amazing how we adapt to new enviromental living conditions eventually I got use to traveling by bus on a daily basis. I do have issues with noisy passengers who talk loudly on their cellphone or have nasty personal hygiene. :(

The HSR operators I've spoken to are an interesting group which include the veterans, the newbies, the kool kats and the hotheads. One time a veteran bus operator who was about to retire sparked a conversation with me and shared his HSR stories. As I was about to exit the bus I said to the man it was a honor to listen to his stories, I never saw the veteran bus operator again.    

About six months ago riding the Upper Gage bus I was sitting near the front when a car cut in front of the bus, to avoid a collision the bus operator hit the brakes. Whew!  That was close!  I saw it all and said to the operator "That was dangerous he could have killed himself"  The operator agreed and we started talking about the dangers of the road. From that time on whenever I saw the operator driving his route who I shall name 'Mr. B' we'd exchange greetings.  'Mr. B' is a friendly talkative fellow and to my surprise and interest he shared his life story with me which I won't go into detail on a public forum.  

I'm a long time YMCA member when one day I saw 'Mr. B' at the downtown Y fitness centre with a HSR colleague aka 'the big guy' they joined the club with high fitness goals which I applaud. These days we see and greet each other at the Y and a few times I've been a passenger on his bus. :)

Recently I read an article that the HSR 'bus barn' will be moving to a new location on Wentworth Street. N. this will be convenient for many bus operators. Say goodbye to the ass end of Hamilton aka Upper James location. :D

From this passenger's point of view HSR management should be proud of their fleet of bus operators both male and female. I've only ran into a few bad apples. 

Tk



Courtesy of Urbancity Hamilton

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hamilton YMCA, Post Pandemic

When the pandemic lock down was lifted I notice a change at the Hamilton YMCA fitness locations. I was there when it reopened and gradually members returned yet still to this day not to full capacity.  On the other hand this opened a topic for discussion we members could share either in the locker room or at the fitness centre regarding COVID-19 and the return to the YMCA, especially with the senior Y members. I’ve been a Y member for years and I recall before the pandemic hit the world most members would go about their workouts with not much social interaction. Today that’s all changed, members will greet others with a nod, smile or a hello. I believe the pandemic made us appreciate others in a positive manner. Enjoy your workouts!  Tk   When masks were mandatory.  Turner Park exercise area  Downtown Y running track My favorite exercise bike Downtown YMCA Downtown location

My Introduction 2023

Moving up the mountain three years ago from the lower city I find I'm enjoying life in Eastmount Hamilton Ontario. Exploring the neighbourhoods and greeting people in surrounding wards on my bike and public transit. I'll be writing about the people I meet and places I travel to. Along the way I'll be capturing photos and posting them here.  It should be fun. ;)  Foggy Afternoon